Landlord and Tenant
Renting property, whether as a landlord or the tenant, can be fraught with problems if not managed correctly. We can help ensure your renting experience is a positive one.

Landlord and Tenant

We act for private landlords and tenants concerning any legal matters relating to their rented accommodation.

Whether you are a landlord or a tenant we can help you understand your rights and responsibilities and ensure your tenancy runs smoothly. It’s important that tenancies are handled professionally from the start otherwise problems can quickly arise.

To make sure you get things off to a good start we can assist with tenancy agreements, the tenancy deposit protection scheme and house share agreements.

If things do go awry we can advise on how best to resolve matters in a timely and least disruptive way. Whether your issue relates to non-payment of rent, eviction proceedings, harassment or disrepair, we can help.

For a free initial consultation on any legal issue relating to landlord and tenant please give our property team a call.

Get in touch...

Buy to Let

Buy-to-let is a great way to secure a regular income and a long-term investment. We know that you’ll be eager to generate a return from your investment so we’ll make sure you are able to complete on your purchase as soon as possible.

Becoming a private landlord can be a complicated process. There are many new regulations that apply to private landlords, which you must comply with. If you don’t meet your obligations there can be serious consequences.

To make sure you get it right we can guide you through the process of becoming a landlord and assist you with the practicalities, such as:
  • Vetting your tenants to check that they are financially sound
  • Preparing the Tenancy Agreement
  • Arranging the Energy Performance Certificate
  • Obtaining the deposit from your new tenants

If you’re a first-time landlord our advice will give you the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.

Get in touch...

House Share Agreements

One way of increasing your income is to rent out a room in your home.

The Governments Rent a Room Scheme allows you to receive up to £4,250 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home, it also won’t affect the amount that you receive in Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit. This threshold is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else.

A lodger can occupy a single room or an entire floor of your home, but the scheme does not apply if your home is converted into separate flats that you rent out; in addition the scheme will not apply if you let your accommodation in your home unfurnished.

The 'Rent a Room Scheme' allows you to have much more control over the tenancy than you would with full tenants who sign a Tenancy Agreement. Unlike tenants, lodgers do not have security of tenure and have no right to stay on if you give them notice to leave. It’s also much simpler to remove unsuitable lodgers than it is tenants.

Although not essential, we recommend that you create and ask your lodger to sign a Rent a Room Agreement, which we are able to help you prepare.

Get in touch...

Deposit Protection

Since April 2007, all deposits taken by landlords and letting agents for Assured Shorthold Tenancies must be protected by a tenancy deposit protection scheme.

There are two types of tenancy deposit protection scheme available, which landlords and letting agents must be a member of one of the schemes. It is up to the landlord to choose which scheme they will use. For all of the schemes there are a set of rules that the landlord must follow.

Within 14 days of receiving the deposit, the landlord must provide the tenant with details of how the deposit is being protected including:

  • contact details of the tenancy deposit scheme
  • contact details of the landlord or lettings agent
  • details of how to apply for the release of the deposit
  • information explaining the purpose of the deposit
  • what to do if there is a dispute about the deposit
When you sign the contract and pay your deposit you should be given reference codes to check your tenancy details with one of these schemes.

The money is then held in an account by the scheme until you decide to leave, at which point it will be returned to you, unless the landlord tells the scheme that you owe money. The scheme administrator will then decide who should get the money back.

If the landlord does not place the deposit in a scheme, or does not provide the tenant with the information they need about the scheme, then he has broken the rules and the tenant can take action against him.

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme should ensure that tenants’ deposits are treated properly. It should help to prevent landlords from keeping deposits that they are not entitled to and make it easier for tenants to obtain a refund of their deposit without taking court action.

For a free initial consultation on any legal issue relating to landlord and tenant please give our property team a call.

Get in touch...

Next steps...

Client Testimonials

Why Choose Veitch Penny?

Free No-Obligation Quotes

Competitive pricing, a free quote within 1 working day and completely transparent (no hidden costs, ever!)

Jargon Free

We won't bog you down with complicated language or jargon, and will guide you through the process.

Regular Updates

We will always keep your regularly updated on the progress of your case.

Local knowledge and Experience

Our legal professionals have many years experience and have real working knowledge of the local property markets.

Veitch Penny Feedback & Reviews

Veitch Penny Feedback & Reviews

Veitch Penny Feedback & Reviews

Veitch Penny now accept feedback by Feefo. To find out what our clients have to say about us, simply click on the blue bar below ...

Click to show reviews from our customers...

Click to show reviews from our customers...

Approachable | Innovative | Practical